“Any woman who chooses to behave like a full human being should be warned that the armies of the status quo will treat her as something of a dirty joke. That’s their natural and first weapon. She will need her sisterhood.” Gloria Steinem
To be treated as full writers (and not just women writers), we need our sisterhood, and that’s why The Gloria Sirens are here.
A play on the name “Gloria Steinem,” The Gloria Sirens is a communal blog that galvanizes women wordsmiths in person, in print, online, and across all time and space. This is our virtual auditorium where we and other literary women can promote, inform, and strengthen the voices that move us. Banded together we take artistic chances without fear of silencing and embolden each other to sing our riskiest songs.
Not sure there’s a problem? For ten years VIDA has tracked gender imbalances and lack of diversity in the world’s most respected literary outlets. Some of the most influential literary magazines still showcase fewer than thirty percent of work by women and minorities. (Listen to us discuss the blog on Life Improvement Radio.)
- writing is an act of courage;
- all stories are worth telling (especially women’s stories);
- as an artist you deserve to be paid for your work;
- as women you deserve equal representation in the arts;
- as our readers you deserve support, acceptance, community, and encouragement;
- when we create a safe and supportive space together, we cultivate courage, dignity, and innovation.
We hope that we touch and amuse you, but most of all empower you. We hope that whatever you hear us doing here, you think to yourself, “Aw heck, I can do that,” and then you go do it, or the artistic equivalent, somewhere, somehow.
Let’s get heard.
“Writing is the only thing that, when I do it, I don’t feel I should be doing something else.” Gloria Steinem
Leap Out of the Deep and Sing